Friday, January 12, 2024

2024: The Year A I became mainstream

 Lots of dots being recognized in the matrix….

Google has cut over 12,000 roles since the start of January 2023, and in their latest layoff, they’ve cut 1000 Google employees from multiple divisions. 

🔑 Key Points:

  • The divisions affected include the voice-activated Google Assistant and Devices and Services PA (DSPA) team, the Pixel team, the Nest team, and Fitbit hardware (which they recently acquired). 

  • Google confirms the layoffs but describes them as part of ‘organizational changes’ for efficiency and alignment with product priorities—much to the dismay of the Alphabet Worker’s Union.

  • Furthermore, they’ve also scaled down their AR hardware team and consolidated their engineering teams and the Google Assistant team with a focus on integrating AI-powered features.


    Bank of America is getting rid of people too.  1) I called the 800 number to report a charge I didn’t recognize…. The customer service rep assisted me, and then told me I could help myself by going to their web site.  So, 10 days after the old card was canceled, I received my new one.  It cannot be activated by phone.  You must go to the web site and open a B of A online account, and then activate the card there.


    I signed up for Verizon’s internet service in December.  In order to get the advertised monthly price, I am required to pay my bill by auto-pay.  Here’s the catch: I must give them my bank account info, or I must sign up for and use Verizon’s VISIA card.  The Verizon chat bot could not explain why I was unable to get the advertised  price…. The question, at my insistence, had to be moved up to the human interface.  Or was it just a senior chat bot?

No comments:

Followers