Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rant on Education #1


http://www.etheric.com/LaViolette/Feelingtones.html

Paul LaViolette is quite an intellect. This man is a planted adept, or something spooky like that. But honesty, did not good educators/teachers know that long ago?

Good teachers know that students learn when they are emotionally charged about the content.
At least I think they know that. Doesn't matter which charge.... positive emotions, negative emotions, anxious feelings --- whatever it takes....
Students must be led to draw their own conclusions about the relevance of what they are studying....

When I was teaching, in 1981, the Texas Education Assoc. armed w/ cameras and an administrator stopped and knocked on my door, because they looked in, and mine was the only classroom with any sign of life inside. I got caught! (and then I got the giggles. the kids saved me.) we were doing a bullshit session about JFK and Lincoln - the old comparison thing. It started when I realized these transplanted sprigs of soldiers at Fort Hood DID NOT KNOW who "LBJ" was. We were 45 min. from Austin, TX, at the largest army base in the free world, made possible by man made lakes in the desert (courtesy of federal funds obtained by LBJ....) so... I threw out the curriculum and we had fun. The administrator never called me on it, if she ever figured out what we were talking about behind the glass door....

NO ONE supervised my curriculum. Which I guess is kind of frightening. But I quickly made good friends with the other world geography teacher, and she helped me enormously.....

No comments:

Followers